is a list of Breweries, Pubs and Inns that have been in business
at some time in Malton & Norton. Some are still there and it's
name is in red. It used to be said
that you could see two pubs from anywhere in Malton, and seeing
this list is not difficult to imagine. The original list was
given to this web site by 'RONNIE FROM CURRYS' but a much more comprehensive
list with more detail compiled in 1982/83, submitted by Shirley
is now below.
can download a PDF of this page, Download
the early 18th century there were nine small unlicensed breweries
in the area between Yorkersgate and the river. Later in the century
the larger commercial breweries began business. Details of these
are as follows :-
1 THE OLD BREWERY
Established 1767. First it was Walker and Dunlop, then W. Walker
& Co., then John Walker & Co. who sold it in 1892 to Garbutt
& Johnson of the I-Iovingham Brewery. In December 1893 it became
Chas. Rose & Co., and remained so until taken over by Tetley's
in 1969. It is now Tetley's Depot.
2 THE GRIFFIN BREWERY
Established 1793. It changed ownership many times during its existence,
and ally closed down in 1879. It was purchased by Mr Botterill
who, after some structural alterations, set up a furniture business
there. The newly formed Co-op Society bought it and set up their
first shop at 56 Castlegate in 1901. It was subsequently their butchering
department and then their furniture warehouse. It then became Bill
Foster's clothing factory, and is now a Woollen Goods factory.
3 THE DERWENT BREWERY
Established 1771 by the Russell family. In 1823 it was Russell &
Witty, Mr Witty owning the our mill at that time. By 1840 it was
Jas. Russell & Son, and so it remained until 1897 when William
Wrangham of the Crystal Brewery became a partner and a limited company.
Russell & Wrangham was formed. It was taken over, first by
Melbourne Breweries and later by Cameron's and is now Cameron's
4 THE ALBION BREWERY
Established about 1830 by William Wilson, but it had a short life,
having closed down by 1857. It was at the bottom of Castlegate occupying
a site which is now part of Taylor & Browns works. Its granary
and malt house were in use for a long time as the Fire Station,
and were recently demolished in order that the addition to Taylor
& Browns premises could be built.
THE CRYSTAL BREWERY
Established in 1864 by William Wrangharn, who eventually went into
partnership with Russells in 1897. Brewing was still carried on
here until 1905, however, when it ceased production. It was at the
lower end of Castlegate occupying part of the site which is now
Camerons yard just below the Ryedale D.I.Y. shop.
AT SCABOROUGH ROAD, AROUND NORTON, MALTON FINISHING AT OLD MALTON.
This survey was done about 1982/3
DOG & DUCK, Scarborough Road.
Was opposite the first mile post, just beyond where the new bungalow
now stands. It was known to be there in 1840, 1850, 1863 and 1877,
but there is now no trace of it.
2. BLUE BELL/BALACLAVA, Scarborough
Near the Railway Bridge. In 1840 it was the Blue Bell Beer house.
Name changed to the Balaclava Tavern in May 1857 and it got a full
licence. Closed in 1972 and became a private house.
3. HYDE PARK, Mill Street
for Web Page
Opened as a pub in 1830 and was behind the present pub. It was a
Beer house and in its early days was called the Malt Shovel, but
the name had been changed before the new Malt Shovel was built in
Commercial Street. It had a full licence by 1887. The present building
was opened in 1938.
4. TURF TAVERN,
Location not known.
Was known to be in business 1854 - 1858 and the landlord was Thomas
5. SPOTTED COW, Location not known.
Was known to be in business in 1855 but no other information is
MALT SHOVEL, Commercial Street.
Was built and opened as a fully licensed public house about 1860.
The first landlord
was Mr John Willey.
7. UNION, Commercial Street.
Here for Web Page
First mentioned in 1840, and was classified as an inn.
8. BAY HORSE/RAILWAY, Wold Street.
Was originally called the Bay Horse and is of 18th century origin.
The name was changed about 1850, the Railway having opened up in
9. PEAR TREE, 12 Wold Street.
Was recorded as a Beer house in 1838, 1840 and 1854 but was no longer
by 1864. Now a private house.
HAMMER & PINCHER, Wood Street.
Was in one of the houses opposite Danby house and is recorded in 1854,
1867 and 1870 but had closed by 1872.
11. PIG & WHISTLE, Wood Street.
Information only obtained by word of mouth, handed down from older people
who say it was there in the 1890's and was at the Wood Street entrance
to Thompson's Engineering Works.
12. RIFLEM/INS ARMS, 59 Langton Road.
Built in 1860 and was a Beer house. Last written reference was 1865,
but several older people say it didn't close until about 1900.
HORSE & JOCKEY, Norton.
Verbal information only. Exact location or when it existed is not known.
BUCKS HEAD, Norton.
Location not known but it was mentioned in the local newspaper in 1826
and 1828. The landlord was John Shepherd and his son was the surgeon
15. BOARD INN, Commercial Street.
Was behind Searles Grocers shop (now the betting shop). It was in business
1872-1893 and is thought to have closed in 1899.
16. BUCKROSE, Commercial Street.
Was built by Mr Henry Searle, and opened as a fully licensed pub in
17. OAK TREE/NEW INN/ROYAL OAK, Church
The original inn was of 17th century origin. It was demolished and replaced
by the New Inn, on approximately the same site in the 1830's. In the
early 1840's the present name was adopted.
18. GRIFFIN, Church Street.
Was built and opened as a Beer house in 1860, but was granted a full
licence in October 1873. It closed in 1967.
19. QUEENS ARMS, Railway Refreshment
Was built and opened, fully licensed in August 1854. The pub part closed
soon after the end of the 1939-45 war, and is now a cafe.
20. WATERMANS ARMS/CROWN & ANCHOR,
Was built and opened as an inn about 1801. The name had changed by 1823
and it closed in the 1960's.
QUEENS HEAD/SPREAD EAGLE, 72 Castlegate.
Opened in the early 1800's and was only a Beer house. The name was changed
in the 1850's. It closed just before the beginning of the 1939-45 war
and became a private house.
SHOULDER OF MUTTON/WHITE HART, 27 Castlegate.
Of 18th century origin. The name was changed about 1825, and was often
known as the Buck Inn, but this was never it's official name. It had
closed by 1872, and is now a private house.
23. SHIP, Church Lane, Castlegate.
Dates from the early 1800's, and the entrance to it was a few yards
up Church Lane (opposite Camerons Offices). It closed in 1888 and became
a private house.
24. MARINERS ARMS, Carpenters Yard,
There is no written record of its existence but several people have
been told that it opened in 1801 at the bottom of Carpenter's Yard,
near the repair dock.
25. WILLIE RUDDOCK‘S BEER HOUSE,
There is a reference to it in 1837. It was at the bottom of St. Leonards
Lane, where the corner of the Malt Kiln is now.
26. CASTLEGATE VAULTS, 6 Castlegate.
Of 18th century origin and was a dram shop and Wine and Spirit business
until about 1890 when it became a pub with a six day licence. It closed
and was demolished in 1965 in order to carry out road widening at Butcher
27. NEW GLOBE , Yorkersgate.
Click Here for Web
Was built as a coaching inn in 1808. It originally extended over the
area where the shoe shop is now.
28. GATE INN, Yorkersgate.
for Facebook Page
Originated in the 1840's and was Wm. Wrangham Wine & Spirit establishment.
It became a pub in the 1890's, having a six day licence and being known
as the Board Inn.
29. ROSE, Yorkersgate/Saville Street.
It was a draper's establishment until 1867 when it became Soulby's Wine
& Spirit establishment. In 1907 it was also named the Board. The
name Rose came after the end of the war. It is now used by Ryedale Travel
30. ANGEL, Saville Street.
Built and opened in 1711 as a fully licensed inn. It was at first called
the New Angel, because there already existed an Angel Inn at the top
of the Market Place. Demolished 1882.
31. BLACK HORSE/ GEORGE, Yorkersgate.
Built about 1720 when work was in hand making the river navigable to
the Humber. This was completed in 1723 and the bottom of Water Lane
was the River Head, so that all goods had to come and go via Water Lane.The
name was changed about 1845. Originally, the lane was open at the Yorkersgate
end. The arch was thrown over in the 1880's to provide additional accommodation
for the Inn's commercial visitors. It was both a coaching and a carriers
32. WHITE HORSE, 40/42 Yorkersgate.
Was a very large coaching and posting inn dating from the 17th century.
It closed in 1859 and became a boarding school for boys. It now houses
the Malton surgery.
33. TALBOT, Yorkersgate.
Click Here for Web
Was built in 1684 as Sir Willliam Strickland’s hunting lodge,
and was bought by the Hon. Thomas Watson-Wentworth, Earl of Malton,
in 1739, and opened as an inn in 1740. The original building was of
two stores, the third being added in the 1850's.
MOUNT HOTEL, Yorkersgate.
Was built as a school for girls in 1870. It was first called Prospect
House but later became St. Michaels School. It closed at the beginning
of the 1939-45 war and after the war was first a guest house, and later
as now a fully licensed Hotel.
35. OLD TALBOT, Market Place.
Was a 17th century Inn. It closed on 31st. December 1907, and is now
36. GREEN MAN, Market Street.
An inn of 18th century origin. It has been associated with the Tate
Smith family since 1862, almost 120 years.
37. GOLDEN FLEECE/FLEECE INN, Market
It's origin may go back to the 15th century. It was re-fronted in 1740
and incorporated in the Green Man in October 1977.
38. KINGS HEAD, Market Place.
Dates from the 17th century but has undergone re-building several times,
especially alter the disastrous fire of 1913, which demolished
a large part of it.
39. BLACK SWAN, Market Place.
Of 17th century origin. It was extensively re-built in 1741 and the
landlord, Mr Bielby, had been there since before 1700.
40. GOLDEN LION, Market Place.
Was a very old inn, probably medieval in origin. It stood opposite the
Town Hall, where the bank is now, and was demolished in 1791. Several
coins of the reign of Edward II (1301-1327) were found, and under the
cellar, the remains of earlier buildings.
41. THE VINES, Market Place.
Of 17th century origin. It was re-fronted in 1740 and was the Board
Inn in 1776. In 1823 it was Rose & Agars Wine & Spirit establishment,
then it was Edward Rose, then E & W H Rose. The Scarborough &
Whitby Brewery had it for some time, and it is now owned by Cameron's
42. BLACK BULL, Market Place.
Was an 18th century inn. It closed just before the 1939-45 war and was
eventually demolished in order that Newgate could be cut through.
43. CRITERION, Market Place.
In 1858 it was Merrick's drapery shop. In 1860 it was Taylors Wine &
Spirit merchants. It acquired the name Criterion about 1880 and was
classed as an inn soon after. It also was demolished when Newgate was
ROYAL OAK, Market Place.
A 19th century inn. In the 1870's The Prince of Wales Feathers were
displayed over the door, because the landlord catered for Royalty at
OLD GLOBE, Market Place.
Was built about 1730 and was a coaching inn. It was demolished in 1931,
when the Milton Rooms was built.
SPOTTED COW, Cattle Market.
Click Here for
The origin of the building is very old, probably 16th century, but it
was not then an inn. It became a Beer house in 1807 but did not have
a full licence until the 1860's.
47. RED LION, 7 Finkle Street.
Nothing known of it's early history, but in 1802 the landlord provided
food for prisoners held in the lock up next door. It closed about 1841
and became Ineson's Tin Smiths shop. It has now been demolished.
PRINCE OF WALES, Finkle Street.
Became a Beer house in the 1850's and a fully licensed house about 1870.
It closed in the 1920's and was demolished.
49. HARRISONS FOLLY, Newbiggin.
It was recorded as being there in 1705, but its exact location is not
known. It may have been an earlier name for the Blue Ball.
HARE & HOUNDS, 36 Newbiggin.
Was a Beer house in 1840 but by 1857 was classed as an inn. It closed
on December 31st 1907 and became a private house, which it still is.
51. BAY HORSE, 39 Newbiggin.
Was a Beer house in 1842 and remained so all it's life. It closed at
the end of August 1900 and became a private house. It has recently been
demolished and new houses built on the site.
BLUE BALL, Newbiggin.
Here for Facebook Page
The property dates from the 16th century. It was an old cruckhouse with
a thatched roof. Whether it was an inn in its early days, or just a
farmhouse is not known. It may have been Harrison's Folly recorded in
1705 but this cannot be confirmed. It was the Blue Ball in 1823.
53. CLARENCE, Wheelgate.
It was a private house until in the early 1860's it became a dram shop.
It became a public house and got its present name in 1892. It was extensively
re-built soon alter the end of the 1939-45 war.
54. ELEPHANT & CASTLE, 29 Greengate.
Was a Beer shop in 1840. It closed in 1951, was demolished and a number
of flats were built on the site.
55. CROSS KEYS, Wheelgate.
Click Here for Face
Was built in the early 18th century on the site of the 12th century
St. Peter's Hospitium, which had closed about 1640, but of which the
vaulted crypt remains under the building. Since it was built it has
had several major structural alterations.
CASTLE HOWARD OX, 52 Wheelgate.
Was a Beer house in 1840 and closed in the 1920‘s. It was eventually
demolished so that the supermarket could be built.
57. GREYHOUND, 50 Wheelgate.
Was a Beer house next door to the Castle Howard Ox but had only a very
short life in the 1850's. It also was demolished and the supermarket
58. BIRD IN BUSH, Wheelgate.
Exact location is not known. The only reference to it seems to be in
Wentworth Woodhouse Muniments Schedule of 1714.
SHIP/ROSE & CROWN/CROWN HOTEL, Wheelgate.
Click Here for Web Site
The present building was erected on the site of the old Ship Inn in
1827 and was given the name Rose & Crown. The name was changed to
the Crown about 1860. Mrs Suddaby took over in 187 8 when it came known
as Suddaby's Crown Hotel, and it still is.
60. SUN, Wheelgate.
The original premises were of 18th century origin. It was completely
re-built in 1871 and was demolished 1933 and Woolworths built on the
61. BLACKSMITHS ARMS/WORKMANS ARMS,
6 Old Maltongate.
Was a Beer house in the 1830's. It closed on 31st October 1907 and the
Solicitors office is now where it stood.
62. HOLE IN THE WALL, Yard off Old
Was a Beer house and access to it was via a passage just below the White
Swan. It was in business from 1830 till some time in the 1880's.
63. WHITE SWAN, Old Maltongate.
An 18th century inn, which does not appear to have changed much over
64. ROYAL OAK, Old Malton.
Here for Facebook Page
Recorded as a Beer house in 1840, but obtained a ill licence in September
WENTWORTH ARMS, Old Malton. Click
Here for Web Site
An 18th century Coaching Inn. The Wentworths were Lords of the Manor
up to 1782 when it was inherited by William Fitzwilliam.
list has three more pubs:
THE BUCK INN, 24 Castlegate
was a bruises in1840 and closed as an inn in 1860.
ROCKINGHAM ARMS Wheelgate
half way down the street. Recorded in1840 and was closed in 1860
SCABOROUGH ARMS, Old Maltongate
the solicitors is now and was recorded in 1840 and 1891
it if you know of any more or any inaccuracies in the list please let
me know mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org