A North Yorkshire Village.
A potted history
Compiled by Anne Collier

Sherburn village lies halfway between the market town of Malton and the seaside town of Scarborough in the lovely Vale of Pickering. The village has about 333 homes and a population of around 710. Trains travel along the branch line through Weaverthorpe station south of the village, three quarters of a mile away. The first train passed in 1845. Coastliner passenger busses pass through hourly.
In old English, Sherburn means 'bright stream' and there are two. The East Beck rises from St Helen's springs at the foot of the wolds. The West Beck rises from a Wolds spring south of Springfield Farm where it ends in a pond because recent low water levels stopped is flow through the village. 
In 1997 The East Riding 'Pub' celebrated 100 years in business. The Pigeon Pie Hotel closed in  1997 and is now the premises of a computer firm. There are two shops, the Post Office-cum-groceries situated at the cross roads, and was established in 1793. The Central Stores was established in 1910. The fish and chip shop adjoins the Methodist Chapel. The chapel was built in 1813, enlarged in 1865, and an adjoining vestry was built in 1884. A Sunday school room built in 1882 was demolished in 1990 and replaced with a new hall costing 30,000.
Wards Steelwork Factory founded in 1948 lies east of the village and has about 600 employees. Products are sold worldwide.
The present school celebrated its centenary in 1969. It is in the centre of the village and has 56 primary pupils.
The 23 members of Sherburn Countrywomen's Association formed in 1984 meets monthly.
Sherburn village hall was built in 1909 as a place of worship while the church was being restored. To mark the millennium, 50 ,000 is being raised for its modernisation. 
The church, dedicated to St Hilda, founder of Whitby Abbey, is mainly 11th,12th and 13th centuries, although there has been a church on the site since Saxon times. Its beautiful interior has room for a congregation of 300. A wooden rood screen with splendid carving, separates the nave and chancel, and is surmounted by a Crucifixion group, a reminder that the Millennium marks the passing of 2000 years since the birth of Jesus Christ, founder of the Christian faith. 



Did your ancestors live in Sherburn near Malton? Some Sherburn family chronicles are available in print and include BMB’s, Census records 1841-1911, local press reports, school admissions, school log and punishment etc.

For more details mail
anneannecollier@gmail.com

 

 

Sherburn

Sherburn Sherburn
A 20th Century History A Walk Down memory Lane In Victorian Times
  By ANNE  COLLIER  

The History of Sherburn
This book begins with a brief history of primary education in England, the East Riding of Yorkshire and Sherburn and continues with one chapter for each headmaster of Sherburn C E School from 1873 to the present day: Anthony Sawkill 1873-1914, George Farmer 1914 - 1916, Harry Potter 1916 - 1938, John Newton 1938 - 1964, Richard Duncan Sykes 1964 - 1983, Geoffrey F Howdle 1983 - 2000 and Carol Barnes who is today's head  teacher. There are details of school life, references to village people and events both local and natonal and 40 photos, which are not included in Sherburn's previous history books.

Author's Note
This book is for my family and all the people of Sherburn, past, present and still to come and is intended to create happy interest and contemplation. I do not claim to be an historian nor a writer and so apologise for errors, omissions and offences. The final draft could not have been produced without help, correction and encouragement from:- John Clarke (who also provided useful information and photographs, John Cundall, Tom and Betty Flinton, Oswald Gillery, Alison Oulton, Moyra Stockill and Wilfred Ward OBE. Thank you all. Information is from old Scarborough and Malton newspapers (quotes in italic), old Church magazines, old title deeds, Sherburn School Log Book, Whites, Baines and Kellys directories and memories. Profits will be shared equally between the Sherburn School and Sherburn village Hall Millennium Building projects 

To obtain a copy, please contract Anne Collier on 01904 413554
Mail to -  Anne Collier

A Walk Down Memory Lane

A wonderful collection of photos of Sherburn and the surrounding countryside, loaned by John Clarke around 1910. Many local families, still living in the village are featured in the book. IF you would like a copy, get in touch with either Alison Oulton or Anne Collier

The book has been produced as part of the Sherburn Millennium Project
To obtain a copy, please contract Alison Oulton on 01944710372

Sherburn Forge
The Old Brewery, High Street, Sherburn, Malton, North Yorkshire YO17 8QB
Phone: 01944 710279 Fax: 01944 710450
Click Here